Youth & Adult Group Programs
Monarch House Skills for Life Program - Ontario Only
Monarch House offers a small-group day program for individuals with developmental disabilities (e.g., autism spectrum disorder, Down Syndrome, Fragile X, etc.) and acquired or traumatic brain injury. Programming will run throughout the year, with participants able to sign up for weekly sessions according to their schedule.
The day program will focus on practicing specific goals in the areas of adaptive skills, social skills, and community participation and engagement. The target skills will be determined in collaboration with the participant and any other relevant stakeholders within the context of community outings and social activities.
On a regular basis, the participants will engage in daily leisure and life skills-based community activities such as grocery shopping trips, cooking opportunities, art and exercise sessions, opportunities to learn and practice community safety and transit training, and meeting up with friends and socializing. These activities will take place both within the centre and within the larger community.
Skills will be taught using the principles of applied behaviour analysis (ABA), which is a proven teaching strategy that focuses on changing socially significant behaviour in meaningful ways. All programming within this stream will be implemented by well trained staff accredited as Registered Behavior Technicians (RBT™) and supervised by behaviour analysts (BCBA®) within a small group setting (1:5 staff to participant ratio). Data will be collected on the specified skill-building targets in order to monitor learning and progress reports will be provided at regular intervals.
We aim to provide a safe and engaging learning environment that promotes skill building, independence, community participation, and social opportunities.
Monday - Friday, 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM
410 North Service Rd. East, Unit 101
Oakville, ON L6H 5R2
Sessions will be supervised on a 1:5 basis provided by Registered Behavior Therapists (RBT™) and volunteers. Clinical supervision will be provided by a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA®).
Daily session: $150/day (i.e., $21.43 per hour)
Passport funding is accepted
*Cost for admission to activities and travel (when required) are additional
For community outings, participants will travel via Oakville Transit or, when appropriate, will walk to nearby activities. Prior to outings, clients will meet at the Day Program main site, however, participants will have the option to meet at the location of the planned outing if previously arranged with the program supervisor.
Clients will be responsible for providing their own lunches, however, snacks will be provided two times per day.
Participants must be at least 18 years of age and meet the following criteria:
- Able to take part in group activities (3-5 participants per staff)
- Independent with self-care skills (e.g., toileting, washing hands, etc.)
- No instances of aggression, self-injury, or elopement (i.e., running away), or any other behaviour that would pose a safety risk to themselves or others during outings or within group settings
- A fluent and consistent means of communication (e.g., verbal, PECS)
- Complete and submit the online application form or call intake at (905) 339-4322.
- Within 48 hours, you will be contacted to further discuss your application.
- If this program is appropriate for the applicant, the applicant (and caregivers) will be invited to a complimentary Meet and Greet during one of the day program sessions. During this time you will meet the supervisory team while the applicant takes part in the session and experience the type of programming and activities that are offered. Further discussion will occur around possible goals, specific interests, and any possible challenges which may occur.
- Within a week of the Meet and Greet, applicants will be contacted to be informed of their eligibility for the program.
- Once offered a spot in the Day Program, applicants will receive a service contract and the schedule of attendance and start date will be confirmed.